Some of my favorite quotes from a wide range of sources. I especially like Stieglitz’s prediction from 1897. It just goes to show that even experts in a field often fall far short when trying to predict the future. I also like Lincoln’s quote that reminds us that we can all be replaced, often far easier than the tools we use.
- Richard Avedon — And if a day goes by without doing something related to photography, it’s as though I’ve neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up. I know the accident of my being a photographer has made my life possible.
- From “The Bourne Ultimatum” — My first rule is hope for the best; plan for the worst.
- Dorothea Lange — “The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
- Alfred Stieglitz, 1897 — “Photography is a fad well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze.”
- Ansel Adams — “We don’t make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved.”
- Ansel Adams — “There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.”
- Jim Brandenburg — “Nature cannot be twisted to our whims, not even for the purpose of capturing her beauty on film. She must be approached on a level at once aware of both her charms and her harshness. Hers is not a world solely of “calendar” scenes,,, but one also of mystery and hardness, built of the timeless recycling of energy as creatures and plants die and are reborn.”
- Rick Sammon — Sammonisms:
- The name of the game is to fill the frame.
- Dead center is deadly.
- When you think you are close, get closer.
- The camera looks both ways.
- Expose for the highlights.
- Use your camera like a spaceship.
- Light illuminates, shadows define.
- Backlight = shoot tight.
- Make pictures, just don’t take pictures.
- See eye to eye – shoot eye to eye.
- Take the darn flash off the camera.
- Explore the light
- Omar N. Bradley — “If we continue to develop our technology without wisdom or prudence, our servant may prove to be our executioner.”
- Will Rogers — “Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.”
- Colin Powell — “It ain’t as bad as you think. It will be better in the morning.”
- Abraham Lincoln — “I can make a brigadier general in five minutes. But it’s not so easy to replace one hundred and ten horses.”
- Creighton Abrams — “There must be, within our Army, a sense of purpose. There must be a willingness to march a little farther, to carry a heavier load, to step out into the dark and the unknown for the safety and well being of others.”
- Jeff Huestis
- Honesty: not saying something that is untrue.
- Frankness: answering the question that was asked, fully.
- Transparency: answering the question(s) that the other person didn’t know to ask.
- George S. Patton(from U.S. Army facebook page) — Gen. George S. Patton’s 10 Commandments:
- Do everything that you ask of those you command.
Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
Do not fear failure.
Do more than is required of you.
Do not take counsel of your fears.
Always go forward.
Take calculated risks.
Give credit where it is due.
Accept full responsibility for the actions of yourself and your men.